Friday, October 31, 2008

Inspired

I've been inspired this week. And not just by one thing. What a rare treasure it is to find inspiration...and to find it in more places than one, I am feeling uber blessed.

Inspiration # 1: Finding Joy in Trials -
As noted in my previous post...the other day was a rough one. BUT in the end I found that, for the first time in a long time, the Lord led me to handle it with grace. In my new Bible Study I am doing with other moms, we just started studying James. The first few verses of the book talk about finding joy through trials. I have always struggled over that i
dea. 'But, Lord, how do I find joy from a colicky baby??...or an angry friend...or ??' It's hard. And all
I can say is that I can finally see how the Lord has answered some prayer (things have been dry lately). To ask for trials in order to be sharpened and refined is a difficult request, to say the least. But, I can confidently attest to the rewards. I cannot promise that I will always respond to trials with grace...but oh what a beautiful testimony it is to see the potential I have in Christ. I am inspired.

Inspiration #2: Finding Joy in the Kitchen -
I finally feel like I am coming into my own. This week was my first week of fully diving into the art of true homemaking...at least in the kitchen. As encouraged by my dear friend,
Lacey, I have determined to start making everything that we eat from scratch
. Reading blogs of other homemakers has strongly contributed to my ambition for this. I have made it a goal to stop buying all/most packaged/processed foods and make them myself. I figure that if I am allowed to stay home with our baby, then I should be doing all that I can to provide the best 'home' for my loved ones. I am not contributing financially anymore and this is one small way that I can lovingly help my husband by saving grocery costs (no more $4 bottles of kombucha, Jenny!). And, on top of all this, I am providing the absolute best health for my family by cooking everything...knowing every ingredient that goes into it all and making it with love and care. So, for now, I have started to make crackers, tortilla chips, granola, cookies, muffins, kombucha...and bread is next (I will soon be posting recipes). And...it's been a blast for me!! I am loving it! I have stopped watching TV during the days or just piddly-dinkin' around on the internet. I am playing my favorite fall tunes from Nat King Cole or Billy Holiday and dancing around my kitchen creating wonderful snacks for my husband and myself! What better way is there to spend a blustery fall day?! I have been inspired.

Inspiration #3: Finding Joy as a Homemaker -
I was recently discussing the art of 'homemaking' with aforementioned dear frie
nd of mine and we were talking about the well-sought after Proverbs 31 woman. Oh, how all of us ladies long to be a wife and mother like that. 'Amen?' I used to read about her and shrug my shoulders and say "well that was then and this is now....and good luck with that!". But, hey, why not find modern ways to incorporate her way of homemaking into our present-day lives? I feel called to this and want to strive to make it a personal mission. God put her in the Bible to serve as an example for us. He knows what I am capable of...what you are capable of...when I put my heart and mind to it. She is my new inspiration.

"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. 
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

Wow. Let's be inspired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post friend! You inspired me this morning with this post! I woke up feeling... sluggish. We were in Albany all weekend w/the in-laws. Lots of sweets, carbs and coffee. I feel like lead. Uggghhhh. Which makes me not want to do ANYTHING!! But looking at my cupboards, realizing there's nothing to eat unless I MAKE it and this post has given me reason to get off my tush and make some food! Oh and reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is inspiring too. Next step, go local and seasonal!